Family Medicine: Site Evaulation

My site evaluation was with Fahim Sadat. I presented two cases, a journal article, and my drug cards. For my first H&P, I presented a patient who had dysuria, and frequency with a history of UTI. The patient had no hematuria, no fever, and no flank pain. On physical exam, the patient’s abdomen was soft non-tender, and no CVA tenderness, the rest of her exam was unremarkable. For my differential diagnosis, I had UTI, nephrolithiasis, and pyelonephritis but quickly ruled out nephrolithiasis, and pyelonephritis as the patient wasn’t having flank pain, no hematuria, and CVA tenderness was negative. For this patient, we performed a dipstick and found 0 nitrates, no hematuria, and 500 leukocytes. The patient was treated with Macrobid, instead of Bactrim even though she was not pregnant.  Mr. Sadat and I discussed that given the population, and recent infections in the area certain medications that are textbook first-line, don’t equate to practice which I saw with this patient as she was given Macrobid instead of Bactrim even though Macrobid is used to treat UTI in patients who are pregnant. The feedback I received from Sadat was that my H&P and presentation was well done, however, I should have a more detailed assessment and plan, and have more differential diagnosis to work with.