Surgery: Site Evaulation

For my surgery rotation, my site evaluator was Professor Seligson, and was broken down into two visits. I presented four SOAP notes, two drugs card, and a journal article summary.  The soap notes included patients who had a post-op laparoscopic cholecystectomy, small-bowel obstruction, venous insufficiency, and right hemicolectomy from colon cancer.  For these soap notes, I presented a brief overview of HPI, a focus physical exam that was pertinent to the patient’s chief complaints, and plans for the patient that included lab work, imaging studies, and surgical procedures the patient would need. For my first site visit, Professor Seligson provided helpful tips on how to write an HPI in a concise order from when the patient was admitted from ED, when the surgery was performed, and any pertinent information post-op such as complications, and discharge instructions given.

For my drug cards, I presented medication that I was exposed to during my rotation this includes Lovenox which was widely used post-surgery as a DVT prophylaxis, Zofran for patients who were having post-op nausea, Cefazolin which was routinely given to patient prior to start of surgery to prevent infection.  Professor Seligson asked several questions about the use of these medications, and other treatment options and considerations for the patients I presented. For my journal article, I presented an RCT about home-based exercise programs for patients suffering from PAD.  The study found that home-based walking programs improved patients walking endurance, and physical activity, and patients’ perceived walking endurance with speed.

Overall, the feedback Professor Seligson gave me made me more confident in writing SOAP notes as this was my first time writing one during my rotation. She also emphasized the importance of my article since patients with venous insufficiency tend to have comorbidities such as HTN, HLD, and DM and how encouraging a home-based walking program can also help patients with their other health-related issues which I didn’t think about before.  For future H&Ps, and SOAP notes I will continue to have a good flow in my write-ups, and presentations.